In sometimes you may forget your already connected wifi network password or office admin will enter the password without sharing to you, for this kind of situation you need to find out the wifi password. So here we will guide about how to find wifi password in Mac OS X.
Mac OS X and even other devices like smartphones and tablets store the password once it is entered, which means there is a option to recover your password from already connected wifi networks.
Here is the steps for recover wifi network password in Mac OS X, we can use two methods one is direct Network settings and another one is using terminal. First we will see about how to find the wifi password using network settings method.
- Open the “Keychain Access” located in /Applications/Utilities/ (Keychain Access can be easy to access from Spotlight with Command+Space)
- Sort the Keychain list by Using the forget wifi network name or use the “Search” box to narrow down the networks and results
- Double click on the sorted wifi network that you want to reveal the details for
- Then it will open the new window select “Show Password”.
- Enter your administrator username and password (you may have to do this twice)
- See the password in the “show password” field.
How to find saved wifi password in mac os x using terminal
- Open the “Terminal” located in /Applications/Utilities/ (Terminal can be easy to access from Spotlight with Command+Space)
- Then enter below command line, here “OPP” is the wifi network replace this with which network your want see the password.
security find-generic-password -D “AirPort network password” -a OPP -g
3. it will ask your administrator username and password.
4. Once your enter the password you will see the password of requested network. That was how you can easily reveal passwords of Wi-Fi networks you’ve used on your Mac. if you have any clarifications please let us know in the comments thanks for reading.